Friday, December 4, 2009

A true test of an Airplane Geek's Spouse

I am an airplane geek.
My wife knew that going into our marriage.
Airplane Geeks collect things. I, over the years, have collected squadron patches. The patches are intended to go with my models when they are finished. I am pretty proud of the comprehensive collection of F-117A patches I have acquired over time. I have collected seat cards again to go with my airline models. Postcards are a given as well as hundreds of photos. I also have lots of model kits. I admit it’s a problem, but there will be no recovery of that addiction collecting is part of being a geek.

However the other night I brought home from storage at my father’s house a true test of my wife’s patience.

Photobucket

Yes that is a tail hook! Specifically a tail hook from a U.S. Marine Corps A-4 Skyhawk. I won’t get into the details on why I have an Scooters hook. It was one of those; “It seemed like a good idea at the time.” My intention, is to have it stripped and repainted. Either in traditional Black and white alternating stripes. Maybe F.S. 15050 Gloss Blue Angel Blue.

I am not alone, several of my friends and associates have succumbed to arrestor envy. They have also acquired the item in question.

Well after the shock of “ what the ^(*&^*& is that” and my sheepish reply “I did say I had an tail hook.” She just shrugged in a knowing, lovely way. It’s now standing proudly in OUR office.

I like my tail hook, especially now it’s with me again, but I love my wife! She keeps me grounded, hooked me on first pass, and let’s me have my airplane geek flights of fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment